Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Philips & Boston

I have recently been residing in the beautiful Northwest working for Philips Healthcare in Seattle, Washington. It is a wonderful time to be here. Everything is lush and green with days that grow longer and more gorgeous as the summer progresses. I truly am enjoying my stay; however, the attractive sunny 70-degree weather is not the purpose of this post.
A little background…I worked up here last year with the Ultrasound & Monitoring business as an intern. I was the first undergraduate that Philips had ever hired and it proved to be a superb experience. I learned a lot and stayed close to those I worked with throughout the year. I received an e-mail in February with some opportunities for me to return to Philips, looked them over, and accepted a position. Currently, I am working on an SAP migration project for the North America Global Sales & Service business. I have been exposed to a variety of functional areas within the business, which has been a valuable learning experience. Over the course of the past thirty days, I have been involved with an internal SAP user-access audit, setting up a document repository within SAP for a migration project, defining and analyzing the Healthcare Informatics business in Foster City, CA, and heading the budget analysis for the €13 million OneSAP project.

I’m happy to say that things are going extremely well. So well in fact, that one of the managers that I work with here in Seattle offered me a job next year in Boston. It was very unexpected, but put my conscience at ease! I was worried that with the current economy in the shape it is, finding a job would prove difficult. I’ve never been to Boston, but what a good time to go there … The Celtics just won the National Championship, the Patriots consistently perform well even though the NHL doesn't really excite me, and the Red Sox…come on, no explanation needed there. I’m not a life-long die-hard Sox fan, but they are a very talented team and would provide some fantastic evenings at the park.

Anyhow, I haven’t signed anything or even begun worrying about the decision further, aside from thinking of the sports teams that are there; however, this proposed opportunity was a ‘warm fuzzy’ and offered some needed confidence in my abilities.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Well, I must say I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it would be a GREAT excuse for curt and I to go to boston with Grant. Curt has always wanted to go there. However, seriously, could my family move ANY further away from me? I think NOT! Well either way, I knew you wouldn't have a problem finding a job. You are killin it AJ! Love you! Take care of your one good leg will ya? :)